Monday, May 4, 2009

My Right Foot---Day 9: Decadent Days


One of the few advantages to being a waitress is that you are completely disposable.


No patients waiting for surgery. No defendant waiting for you in court. No classroom full of students waiting for that big test. And no foreign diplomats waiting your response to the current international crises.


Just a restaurant in Midtown Manhattan where people stop on their way to the theatre.


In short, those three little words I’ve always wanted to say to a customer when he/she begins to have a heart attack over an improperly cooked steak:


“It’s just food.”


So today, with a horrible, debilitating cold, I call in sick.


And I have no doubt that, despite the lack of my presence, everyone will make it to their Monday 8:00pm Broadway show on time and the world, as we know it, will go on as before.


This afternoon, I curl up with another cup of Echinacea tea and my vitamins and tissues. A day to lounge around, relax and heal.


I even put on my footy-pajamas. Yeah, it’s that kind of lovely, decadent day!



I realize today that these posts are taking away from the daily playtime I promised myself as I crossed the George Washington Bridge last week. This evening, I did absolutely nothing creative except decide to pull out everything in my closet and make it all much prettier and tidier.



Today, this makes me happy. But I realize it’s not “good blog”.


Or maybe I’m just not a good blogger. Sure, I’m having a sick day; but barely a week after I had that fabulous day walking over the GWB, have I already lost my way? Have I already fallen off the Creative Wagon?


Amongst my thrift store finds from the other day, I picked up several of these for a few dollars.



Match Game gift sets containing a DVD documentary on the classic 70s game show and a Match Game ashtray. Great gifts for my kitsch-loving friends. So 70s. So decadent. Reminding me of those sick days in school when I would lie in bed watching cartoons and daytime game shows like The Price is Right. The documentary doesn't offer many behind-the-scenes scoops. Though apparently Richard Dawson was unhappy and bitter and those "water" glasses on the show were often filled with vodka.


Occasionally, I turn on the Game Show Network on a sick day afternoon and catch these gems in reruns. Charles Nelson Reilly and Brett Somers were such an amazing pair of panelists on the show. So funny, so natural and they always looked like they were having a blast. Outside of the game show, Somers was a gifted comedic actress; and Charles Nelson Reilly (in addition to being tremendously funny) was a brilliant theatrical director. I know firsthand. One of the few plays that truly shaped me was directed by Charles Nelson Reilly.


It seems odd to me that these two amazingly talented people were best known for their witty banter on a game show.


So---unless I want to be known as a professional closet organizer, I’d better get busy.


Tonight, I heed the call of the Nyquil like a Match Game panelist to a glass of "water".


Tomorrow, Miss California Closets is going to shake off this cold and get busy!

1 comment:

Ricky'sman said...

Those sets are great. I'd love to have one.