Monday, May 18, 2009

My Right Foot---Day 23: Creative Cures on a Lovely Day


I’m a Googler.


Sometimes I sit around pondering things and wondering why. So I Google. Just type in the question to get an answer. Though no matter how much I Google, I don’t think I will ever know exactly why banks feel the responsibility to give everyone the time and temperature. Why do banks all have brightly-lit, jumbo digital clocks adorning their façade? Why? I don’t know. I’ve even asked. The tellers think I’m crazy. But they don’t know either. Not even Google knows.


It’s one of the great mysteries of the world.


Sure, I could have gone to a doctor for my allergies. The post-nasal drip that was keeping me awake coughing all thru the night.


But doctors just want to give you a pill. A pill that takes care of the symptoms but doesn’t treat the cause. And a pill that often causes more problems than it solves.


Before I went crying to the doctor for a pill (or became one of those Inhaler People---egads!), I decided to visit Dr. Google.


Well, decide isn’t exactly the word. It was 6:00 am Saturday morning and I’d been up coughing all night. I HAD to get some sleep. I crawled out of bed, went to the computer and typed in, “How do I stop coughing?”


Unlike the bank thing, there were TONS of suggestions on how to stop coughing. I spent about an hour pouring thru various home remedies, medical sites, and reading the usual tips like drink hot water with honey.


As if I hadn’t already tried that one! If I drank any more honey, I was going to start attracting bees.


In any case, I looked at people’s responses to these suggestions and picked three that seemed promising.


First, what I discovered is that coughing is good. It means that your body is trying to get something it’s rejecting out of your system. All good.


But if you’re coughing and coughing and can’t stop---well, that dry cough means that your body is not producing enough mucus to clear that stuff outta there. And, an inability to produce mucus could mean that you’re deficient in Vitamin B.


The second tip that seemed to work was drinking a shot of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. An apple cider tonic. Apparently, a healthful thing to do everyday.


The third tip was kind of strange, but got glowing reviews: Put Vick’s Vapor Rub on the bottom of your feet---yes, your feet! And then put a pair of socks over that right before you go to bed. Sounds weird, but people swore by it.


Luckily, I had all three “medicines” in my house. Within an hour, I took two Vitamin B tablets, drank two Apple Cider Vinegar Tonics, and socked up my feet in a Vick’s Vapor Rub wrap.


Within half an hour, I was sound asleep. I didn’t wake up coughing once. And I woke up feeling an amazing calm sensation in my chest and throat.


That day, I only had two coughing fits (as opposed to about a dozen the previous day).


The next day, I had none.


A creative cure.


I love creative cures. They’re so much more interesting than just taking an aspirin. In a way, I suppose this 30 day thing is an attempt at a creative cure. And as much as I complain about all this blogging and thinking and taking pictures of my stupid foot---well, something seems to be working.


Finally. On Day 23.


Today I woke up energized. Ran all my otherwise detested errands. Happily paid some bills I’d been putting off. And had a smile on my face as I cleaned up the hairball the cat left on the floor this afternoon. I eagerly pulled out my writing (a new sketch idea I came up with just yesterday for the show next month) and got down to business on the train. I went to the bank to make a deposit (at exactly 3:55 pm, thank you Chase Manhattan) and instead of moaning at the long line at the bank, happily hummed along to the Perry Como song playing on the Muzak, “It’s A Lovely Day Today”.


I wasn’t exactly looking forward to a long night at work---but I came up with a creative cure for that, too…


New Work Shoes!



There’s nothing like a new pair of shoes to put a spring in my step. Even at work. I was bouncing---literally, bouncing and tapping and jumping on my toes to show off my spiffy new shoes.


I also bought a second pair in a different color---oh, you’ll be seeing those babies! Don’t you worry your pretty little head. They’re very jazzy, indeed.


I didn’t even mind writing this blog.


What gives?


I don’t know why Vick’s Vapor Rub on the soles of your feet cures a cough. I don’t know why banks insist on giving you the time. And I don’t know why this blog has reversed my artistic lobotomy.


I wish I could Google it and find out why. But some things, no one really knows.


It’s a Lovely Day Today.

No comments: